Is there a set of applications that you install right after the operating system? Applications, that you feel are absolutely needed for your daily tasks? Here are a few of my favorites:
- JollysFastVNC – absolutely outstanding VNC client for Mac OS X. As the name implies, it is fast. And its SmartZoom feature is way cool, when you have to work remotely on a desktop screen which is much bigger than your Mac’s (I usually use VNC to connect from my MacBook to a desktop PC running Linux).
- Thunderbird – built-in Mail application doesn’t work too well with my multiple IMAP accounts, full of nested folders. For the moment Thunderbird is my choice then, even though it’s far from perfect.
- iChm – for the moment my favorite .chm file reader. Not much to say about it, it just does its tasks well. Export to PDF file is a nice feature (however, I can’t see it possible to select a range of pages).
- Adium – well known and appreciated instant messaging application for Mac, nothing more to say.
- Cyberduck – my favorite SFTP client. It can also do regular FTP and WebDAV, yet I don’t use those protocols too often. It supports Bonjour, as well as Growl.
- MacVim – Mac OS port of my favourite editor.
- MacPorts – speaking of ports, this is a must-have for anyone doing serious work on the console. I usually install a2ps, wget, ghostscript, and a few other utilities.
More to come…